The Extinction of Crafts

New York City has always been that place where one could always find whatever they were looking for. It was the physical Internet before the Internet came into existence. As a teen I needed picture inserts for a wallet I had and instead of buying a new wallet a friend of mine suggested that I go to Chinatown to see if I can find those picture inserts. The first shop I walked into outside the N train stop had them. I was amazed.

Not too long ago I had my favorite pair of shoes shined in the lobby on a midtown building. I had these shoes for three years and never had them shined so I figured if I want them to last I should take care of them. I don't know what happened but within three days the shoes looked ready for the garbage. I was so disheartened. Before making the decision to throw them away I took them to a shoe repair shop close to my job that received rave reviews online so I figured I'd give it a try. I had never dealt with a shoe repair shop or a cobbler so I tempered my expectations and waited. When I picked up my shoes I was floored. It took me back to that day in Chinatown where I once again believed anything can be found. They looked better than when I purchased them. I simply could not believe how good they looked. I proceeded to ask the elderly gentleman dressed in slacks, buttoned down shirt and vest what exactly he did. Through his motions and gestures and the sincerity with which he spoke it was obvious he was very serious and passionate about his work as a cobbler and it made me think about how rarely, if ever, I could recall someone who displayed such passion, expertise, and humility perform any kind of service.

We live in a different age today. Craftsmen like cobblers, tailors, and horologists are far and few and it is too bad. We still have barbers but the experience isn't like it was from before my days based on my readings. When I wear these shoes now I have a certain enthusiasm created in part by this man's craft. Like Rick Blaine I know I am a sentimentalist at heart and maybe this is going the way of the craftsmen. So much of this city seems to have been sterilized and those are the times. I don't know how much longer this particular shoe repair shop will be there with all the construction going on down here. These craftsmen in some ways seem to be the last frontier on the city's old charm.

Comments

Popular Posts