Time Travel Without The Speed of Light

I just traveled fourteen years into the past. Being that I have personally evolved, traveling back into time feels weird because given the same situations and scenarios I feel like an alien from another planet as my responses to these situations and scenarios are not at all similar.This scenario explains my perspective having re-entered the world of dating after a fourteen year absence.

The dating culture of 2004 is somewhat unrecognizable today. This was pre texting culture, pre smart phone, pre social media etc. Back in 2004 we still actually had conversations on the phone. The anxieties and places of discomfort in the presence of insecurity inducing beauty was far more prevalent. I realize today that the only person with whom I regularly speak to on the phone is my seventy-three year old mother because she finds it difficult to make the transition to texting.

This past weekend I had the privilege of meeting someone who struck me with the proverbial lighting bolt, the first one I've felt in a very very long time. It was as exciting as it was terrifying. It was right then I realized I am somewhat clueless as to how to proceed. The only female friend I have advised me that actual phone calls are kind of out and texting is the new way to communicate, set dates etc. I've embraced technology in every facet of life as many of us have, with the exception of dating as I have not been in that world during the digital revolution.

Being that I am not the same person I was fourteen years ago as I like to think I have evolved  and the fact that technology has basically enabled communication skills to regress, I find myself in the most awkward of positions. The depth and goals of communication today are tailored made for the immature ego stroking depth lacking emotional constitution many were stuck in even prior to the texting revolution. What is a person to do when they are seeking to connect with someone on an intimate level when they are relegated to using the keypad to convey vulnerability and authenticity?

Having to relearn how to dip one's toe into the dating pool isn't the worse thing. All one can do is focus on the journey and enjoy the ride. It's scary to wonder what the future holds however with 5G and the IOT on the horizon. Could there be a time in the future where conversation in verbal or written form will no longer even be necessary?

#dating
#elliotyi
#paradigmleft
#habits
#mindset
#love

Comments

Popular Posts