A Life of Congruence

I am a huge fan of words. Words can have a huge impact when used properly influencing our thoughts, beliefs and behaviors. Their emotional influence and use in expression make them even more powerful when used by the right pen. The words we use are a reflection of how we think. Sometimes they can give a hint of direction and what our goals are. They have subliminal effects on our subconscious and this is a superpower that is worth utilizing when you are seeking to make changes in your life. One word that has had a huge impact on me is the word congruence. Here is why.

High Performance Habits by Brendon Burchard is an amazing book and if you haven't already I highly recommend you read it. In it he speaks of congruence. Congruence simply means agreement, or in harmony. But how many of us truly pay attention to or work to this end in our daily lives?

The practice goes like this. Clearly identify your core values. Choose those things you are or strive to be. My personal words are empowered, optimistic, loyal, resilient. And in a social context they expand to authentic, vulnerable, loving, committed, and compassionate. Those are nine words that I have drilled into my conscious mind where I have decided to try to think, feel, do, and be in every aspect of my being. This propels me to consistently strive to be the best version of the person I can be. To put it in laymen terms, I have been in a pretty shitty place emotionally lately and I won't pretend I have a magic wand that spreads fairy dust and makes things all better, but having most of my thinking and behaviors be in alignment with my core values, it has made it that much easier to navigate these emotional valleys because I know I am  in congruence. I can feel it. And that is the thing about congruence, our emotional selves know when we are out of whack even if we are not consciously aware of this.

When we work to live congruent lives we seldom have regret. We have a clear vision and confidence in the decisions and choices we make and we have direction. There can be times when emotions will do their best to get us to deviate from our goals of being congruent but if we are mindful and committed to our core values we will stay in alignment and live happier lives because of it.




#elliotyi
#paradigmleft
#habits
#mindset

Comments

Popular Posts