I'm Not Always Happy...But I'm Always Optimistic

I'm Not Always Happy...But I'm Always Optimistic


Nicknames are usually terms of endearment. My colleagues at work call me The Doctor, Professor, Mr Happy and a few other well intended names. My friends at times liken me to Mr Spock. People who first meet me refer to me as 'That Guru Guy.' Truth is I get as broken down, beat down, anxious and depressed as everyone but I work on being feverishly optimistic and this perspective not only works, it helps one to flourish.

I was prompted to write this by a friend who recently quipped to me that nothing ever bothers me. I had to quickly correct his perspective and ensure him that I am no different than anybody else with regard to feeling negative from time to time. I work diligently on consistently trying to grow on an emotional level and this requires one to be present and conscious on a level that some may not understand. I feel pain, I feel sorrow, I feel lonely, I feel anxious just like anyone else and I can almost guarantee that I regularly cry more than most people are comfortable admitting to even their closest confidant. One thing I do that I know is different is that I embrace uncomfortable feelings when I have them. I show them the respect I know they deserve. I know that by avoiding uncomfortable feelings they will just get stronger and still eventually surface and possibly manifest themselves in what may not be the most productive of ways. By embracing them and being present I work to recognize why I may be feeling them while in the moment and believe it or not, their effect does not linger when they are embraced. If anything this practice helps them to pass more efficiently.

We all have a wide range of emotions and feelings that we feel for a variety of reasons and at varying intensities. It's what makes us human. There is never a need to judge ourselves for what we feel, they're just feelings. The key to feeling and understanding our emotions is to ensure they don't get in the way of us optimizing our life experiences and achieving what we want.
What's more important than any difficult situation we may find ourselves is how we respond. How we frame it. These are two things that are completely within our control and impacts greatly  how we move on and what we choose to experience in the future. Maintaining an optimistic perspective on things gives us more options to choose from in our response.

Whenever you feel something that is uncomfortable know that it is temporary and it won't last. The same holds true for those feelings we want, so enjoy them and cherish them, learn to stay present in the moment and appreciate them because they too are temporary and won't last.



#elliotyi
#paradigmleft
#habits
#mindset

Comments

Popular Posts