Self Limiting Beliefs Are Handicapping You

Self Limiting Beliefs Are Handicapping You

The narratives we construct our lives after are nothing more than habits of thought. They were established was so long ago we fail to remember that these were implicit things we were taught. Many of the self limiting beliefs we possess are anchored in these implicit narratives we live our lives by. As with any other thing we can learn, we can learn to punch through these self limiting beliefs and create new narratives to live our lives by.

It wasn't too long ago, three years to be exact, that I was letting my own self limiting narratives determine too many things in my life. My struggle still continues but two things have changed for me. The first is I realized that anything we want to accomplish and improve at simply takes the belief that we can do so by committing to working at it. And secondly the best way to establish a brief in ourselves is to just get started doing that thing we don't believe we can do.

I had wanted to write a book for a very long time. I talked about writing a book for close to fifteen years and never produced anything. Then, in a three year period I wrote five manuscripts, self published four books, and started this blog. I attribute being able to accomplish this by creating new habits which created a belief in myself I didn't previously possess.

Research shows that there are two ways to create neural plasticity changes in our brains. These are the physical changes that occur in our brains when we learn something new, have a new experience, or create a new memory. These changes occur as a result of physical action we take, or simply by thinking long enough and hard enough about something. For many of us, the easier approach of the two is to simply get moving. After I learned about the science of habits, what they are and how we all have them, I worked to consciously construct a habit of writing by simply just.......starting to write. What was important in this process was to keep at the forefront of my mind to not compare my progress to anyone other than my previous self. Easy enough as my previous had done nothing in his approach to writing a book.

Little by little I wrote. First a few sentences, then paragraphs, eventually each time I sat to write I would produce pages. Each time that page number in the lower left hand corner would increase, the belief that I was lacking was starting to develop. Once I got to page twenty I started thinking to myself, "Maybe I can really do this." By page fifty I was daring someone to stop me. After five months of this process I had completed my first manuscript. It didn't seem real. How was this possible? I took the small and slow approach to creating a habit to achieve a goal I set by just getting at it and in time the belief I lacked was established.

I was able to break through a self limiting belief I had and wrote my first book. More importantly I now have a belief and a confidence that I can use this approach to accomplish anything and eliminate any self limiting belief I still possess. Changing the narrative to cause the effect is something we can all do as long as we commit to the process.


#elliotyi
#paradigmleft
#habits
#mindset

Comments

Popular Posts