Your Mindset Determines Everything. It's Your Most Important Habit

"You have to be willing to be nudged." - Robert Redford

When most of us think about our habits there are two things usually absent from that thought process. Our good habits, or developing good ones, and our mindset or how we think. Thinking is a behavior. It is something we both consciously and subconsciously do. It is the subconscious component that I am going to address in this blog.

How we think is composed of more than a few components. The two most critical are what our conditioning is because it leads to the experiences we set out to get and what our belief about ourselves is. These are instilled in us so early and so often that by the time we are remotely conscious of our mindsets we chalk it up to simply being our personalities. It isn't.

Research shows that what our temperament is has genetic implications but even that can be worked on and developed into one of our choosing. What is critical is that if you are looking to create change in your life, if you are looking to grow in a certain way and you are not getting the results you want you need to start with your mindset.

I have written and self published three books. I am I the process of editing my fourth manuscript as I write this. I have accomplished this over the past three years. For the fifteen or so years prior I hadn't written a single thing although I aspired to write a book during that time. What changed? My mindset and my habits. I obtained the knowledge that we all can pretty much achieve what we choose to achieve as long as we commit to the process. None of us are born to do anything we don't choose to do. My conditioning was off. I had to recondition my thinking, change my mindset to know that I was capable of doing things I didn't see other people do.

Once I had the knowledge it was possible, I had to go and create the belief in myself that I was lacking. There is only one way to create belief and confidence in ourselves and that is to go out and do that thing we want to do that we lack belief in ourselves in. Knowing that it is a gradual process is the key. For so many years I did not write because I wasn't good at it so I lacked belief in myself in being able to do it. That's self fulfillment in action. I had to get good at it and getting good at anything requires effort and practice. I consciously set out to create a habit of writing. Same thing same place same time everyday. Over the course of five months I went from writing sentences to writing pages until I had seventy two thousand words written and my first completed manuscript.

Anything and everything we want to achieve can be had with this process. It works for all of us. We all have infinite potential and infinite possibilities in our lives if we take the time to slow things down. Nothing comes overnight for anyone. But it all starts with your mindset and what you believe about yourself. It took me twelve years over a nineteen year period in and out of school to complete my Bachelors Degree and then over the course of three years I've written and self published three books and now I am editing my fourth, I've started this blog, I am starting my own company, and I've lost forty four pounds. Once we create a new mindset and change our narrative, we are all capable of amazing things once we truly believe in ourselves but we have to take the responsibility to create this belief.


#elliotyi
#paradigmleft
#habits
#mindset

Comments

Popular Posts